Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A visit into my future life.

I just got back from my week long site visit which was a really good time. My site is incredible and I am excited about all the projects that I am going to be working on. Of course, there were some awkward times and some exhausting times, but overall, really good. I arrived at the bottom of the very steep hill that I walk up to reach my community, with a lot of very heavy bags and began trekking upwards to my new home. Half way up I was greeted by a party of young men chopping the weeds on the side of the gravel road, all swinging their machetes in the sweltering sun. They offered to put my bags in the wheel barrow and push it up the rest of the ways. I stayed with an incredibly kind family. The second day in, I got to work with a few community member filling bags with dirt to start a vivero (tree nursery) with trees to eventually plant in the cacao farms to develop the agroforestry system. They all chatted away in ngobere and told lots of jokes in spanish. Pretty funny. And then I spent a day sewing with the women on the traditional dresses they wear (good thing my mom taught me how to quilt when I was young!) And I am going to work with them on managing their cacao, selling chocolate, putting in some fish tanks and estufas lorenas ( earthen stoves) and teach some english classes and help out with the school garden. I am incredibly excited!

No comments: