Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Chickens are coming!! The chickens are coming!!!!

I have spent the last week and a half spreading this propaganda, like the little chicken telling all the world “the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!”. As of April 1st, a truck full of 1,100 little chicks were scheduled to arrive in my community for my group of 22 farmers that I am working with, sent by the Ministry of Agriculture. We have been working with the Ministry of Agriculture’s program which gives resources to rural farmers to plant gardens, raise fish, chickens, goats and so on. It has gone incredibly well so far, with the cooperation of the Ministry and all the hard work of the farmers in my community.
Last Wednesday, the chickens were scheduled to arrive. I ran around the day before reminding everyone that they needed to have their chicken coops ready with dry sawdust and everything. Wednesday came and no chickens. They all died in the truck bringing them from the other side of the country in the hot Panamanian sun. So we were told that Monday would be the day. Friday morning, while a I was happily sitting on my porch building a shelf for my house and helping a little neighbor girl make a pair of earrings out of seeds she collected, I got a phone call. “ The chickens are coming today, at noon!” It was 10am. I had 2 hours to inform 22 farmers that the chickens were going to arrive and that they all needed to be present to receive them. That act might be easier if everyone had phones or lived closeby, but many live between half hour and forty five minute walk away. It was a daunting task to complete. I sent out messengers, used all my phone minutes to call those who have cell phones, and ran around like a chicken with my head cut off yelling that the sky is falling. Or that is how I felt. At 11:30am, I had informed 21 out of 22 farmers and was 2 minutes away from arriving at the last house, which lies down a very steep hill, when my phone rang. “The chickens aren’t coming!!” “Oh damn! But all the farmers are already coming!” So I ran in reverse, retracting my propaganda.

So we prepared ourselves for the following Wednesday. Everyone was ready, so excited for the pollitos. We even played a game where everyone had to pretend they were little chickens. And then I got a phone call. “Kati, the chickens aren’t coming today. Only 300 arrived and we want to bring them all together”. So I had to break the sad news that “the chickens aren’t coming”. The rain rolled in and everyone looked a little more glum. I told them that I was sad and frustrated and they told me “ Don’t worry Kati, there’s nothing we can do and now we have to time to prepare better for the arrival of all the little chickens! Lets play another game.”

No comments: